Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Guest Explorer: Gaelin Rosenwaks


Gaelin Rosenwaks is the Founder and President of Global Ocean Exploration. Always fascinated by the marine world, Gaelin began diving at 14 and has since continued exploring ocean ecosystems.

Beginning her career at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution studying Southern Ocean zooplankton, Gaelin earned her Master’s Degree at Duke University while working with Tag-A-Giant to track bluefin tuna. From the Antarctic to the Arctic to the Pacific and Atlantic, Gaelin has conducted fieldwork in most of the world's oceans. For Gaelin, there is nothing better than being in the open ocean surrounded by endless blue water and passing wildlife.

To share her passion for ocean exploration, marine conservation and photography, Gaelin founded Global Ocean Exploration (GOE) in 2008. She now participates and conducts expeditions in every ocean to alert the public to the challenges facing the oceans and what scientists are doing to understand these changes.

Gaelin is a US Coast Guard Licensed Captain, and a Fellow of both the Royal Geographical Society and the Explorers Club where she served as Secretary of the Board of Directors. She has also appeared as a scientific consultant and angler on the National Geographic Channel Series, Fish Warrior.

Follow Gaelin's expeditions on Twitter @GaelinGOExplore or visit her website!


Getting to Know Gaelin Rosenwaks
  1. Why do you explore? How are you continually inspired to explore?

    I explore because I have a constant curiosity about the planet and our oceans. I am not satisfied with looking at pictures in a book. I always have more questions, I want to take that step beyond the beaten path to find out more no matter where I am in life. My expeditions have taken me to remote areas, some of which have been traveled to before, but it is what is beyond the known that drives me to continue to explore and share what I find.

  2. Is there one expedition in the past or future that you consider to be the culmination of your career?

    While I have been on many amazing expeditions and have many in mind for the future, I don't think that I can even think about the culmination of my career at this point. In fact, I believe that the nature of exploration makes this question impossible to answer as there is always something more out there, a new adventure, a fantastic discovery.

    Until the end of my career and upon reflection, perhaps I could answer this, but I can never see a culmination. If I do, I suppose I would stop exploring. I can say that my first expedition to the Antarctic early in my career set the bar high for all of my future exploration.

  3. Most people think explorers are daredevils and risk-takers- how do you perceive risk?

    I think that this is one of the greatest misperceptions about explorers, but I realize that while I do not see myself as a risk-taker, others perceive me as one. While I go to far-off, remote places and enter into situations where I do not know the outcome, I am always as prepared as possible for all that I may encounter so as to eliminate as much risk as possible. Careful preparation and an understanding of one's limits minimizes a great deal of risk.

  4. What are the greatest personal or professional challenges you face as an explorer?

    The greatest personal challenge is being away from home for long periods of time and often in places with limited connectivity. Once in the field, it is fine, but when my dogs are sitting on my duffel bags not wanting me to leave, it makes leaving difficult!

  5. Do you have one piece of advice for anyone of any age who dreams of exploring the oceans?

    There is nothing better in life than to follow your dreams and passion. With hard work and persistence, you can achieve your dreams and whenever the road gets tough, just go to the beach and take a deep breath of salt air into your lungs; it will remind you instantly why you are on your path.

No comments:

Post a Comment